Director of Development
Dates: July 2019-July 2020
Salary: $55k with medical benefits offered
Supervised by: Director of Engagement
Status: Full time, Exempt
Expected Start Date: July 15, 2019
Application Due Date: Applications received by June 9, 2019 will receive full consideration.
Position Description: The Director of Development is responsible for maintaining the structural needs of the fund and leading the growth of CAF’s infrastructure from a values-based orientation. This includes areas of grassroots fundraising, foundational development, and strategic operations. The position is based in Durham, NC and candidate must be able to present in the office three days per-week.
● Committed to abortion access and full reproductive health care for all.
● Committed to an intersectional framework that includes, but is not limited to gender, economic, and racial justice.
● Ability to enjoy collaboration and be a part of a dynamic, highly productive and integrated team; maintain flexibility and effectively manage ambiguity in a responsive work environment.
● Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and able to work without significant day-to-day supervision.
● Open to giving and receiving feedback and committed to practicing this regularly.
● Belief in bucking the trend through progressive policies to create a new vision for our future.
● Appreciation of working with diverse staff and board in an organization committed to racial justice.
Essential Job Functions:
Fundraising (approximately 35% of the position)
● Anchor fundraising committee and lead seasonal fundraising efforts including but not limited to Bowl-a-Thon, 40 Days for CAF, Giving Tuesday, and monthly sustainerships.
● Develop and monitor processes for donor management including stewardship, cultivation, and technical support.
● Bottomline logistics of fundraising events such as securing venues and speakers, setting event budgets, and publication.
● Attend events, tabling, conferences, and other opportunities for visibility of the fund’s work hosted by CAF or partner organizations.
Fund Development (approximately 30% of the postion)
● Maintain organizational budget and accurate tracking practices alongside Board Treasurer and CPA. Maintain a minimum level of financial literacy knowledge among staff and board members.
● Prepare and present reports and analysis to Board of Directors, and funders, when necessary.
● Track appropriate demographic information and fulfill reporting requests in a timely manner to funders.
● Assess financial needs of CAF and actively identify potential funding sources. Lead grant writing process in pursuing these leads.
● Anchor CAF’s policy team initiatives, using fund demographics and expertise to inform CAF strategies from our callers lived experiences.
Communications (approximately 20% of the position)
● Maintain social media accounts including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and email listservs.
● Develop seasonal communications plans and prepare materials necessary for tabling, community education, etc.
● Serve publicly as CAF member and be prepared to respond to media and speaking requests.
● Support CAF’s relationship building with a local, statewide, regional, and national network of abortion access supporters.
Other (approximately 15% of the position)
Assist with maintenance with funding helpline including but not limited to 1) staffing two helpline shifts a week 2) filling other shifts as needed 3) technical support.
Track and fulfill invoices sent by clinics. Maintain budget alongside Director of Engagement and Board Treasurer.
Actively participate in required convenings, summits, retreats, and staff meetings, and participate in required virtual staff communications.
Protect the organization by keeping information confidential.
Update professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities approved by CAF, maintaining networks, and participating in professional organizations as relevant to your role.
Perform duties required of all staff to support smooth internal operations such as submitting timely expense reports, reimbursement requests, and time sheets.
Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Travel Expectations Ability to travel as job requires. Travel will primarily be overnight, for approximately 1-4 days, and national. Barring travel delays outside of an individual’s control, employee must be able to arrive at destination on-time.